J.A. Montgomery Consulting and the NJCE JIF has created the “NJCE Leadership Academy” for Managers, Administrators, Department Heads, and Supervisors interested in sharpening and expanding communication, conflict resolution, stress management, and team-building skills. The goal is to enhance leadership skills by offering participants varied and in-depth training.
Leadership Academy Participant: Attendance at any of the Academy Classes (virtual or in-person) must be for the entire class runtime (cannot be more than 5 minutes late or leave early) in order to receive credit for the class (no exceptions) and for it to count towards completion of the Program.
Classes will be offered through the NJCE Live Monthly Training Schedules which can be found here (https://njce.org/safety/virtual-training-safety-classes/) and will include a combination of virtual and in-person* classes at various locations throughout New Jersey. (If a link is not present on the NJCE LIVE Monthly Training Schedules the class may not be offered yet, so please check back.)
Participants who successfully complete the requirements will receive a plaque to commemorate graduation from the NJCE Leadership Academy. Note: The Safety Leadership Plaques will be distributed once a year (A Leadership Academy Assessment Form will be distributed at the beginning of the year). More details to follow.
Requirements for 2024 Program Start Date (Leadership Academy Flyer 2024):
- Complete 7 Mandatory classes and 4 Elective classes of your choice (Law Enforcement has 6 Mandatory classes)
- Classes must be completed within two-years from the date the student starts the program. If the classes are not completed in the two-year time frame a new registration in the leadership academy will need to be completed.
If you enrolled and have a Program Start Date of:
1/1/2022 or 7/1/2022 Please refer to the 2022 Safety Leadership Academy Flyer for the course curriculum: Safety Leadership Academy Flyer 2022
1/1/2023 or 7/2023: Please refer to the 2023 Safety Leadership Academy Flyer for the required course curriculum: Safety Leadership Academy Flyer 2023
Academy Open Enrollment
Open enrollment will be held for 3-weeks prior to each session. The enrollment form must be submitted during this timeframe, or the participant will not be eligible to start and will be required to wait for the next enrollment period. Participants only have to enroll one time. Once enrolled they can register for mandatory and elective classes.
Open Enrollment Dates: Click on the date during open enrollment to fill out the registration form.
- June 1-22, 2024 (Start Date: July 1, 2024)
LEADERSHIP ACADEMY CLASS LIST
The list below includes all classes approved for the NJCE Leadership Academy. Please note that classes will be offered on a rotating basis. Registration for all these classes is open to everyone; however, they will only count towards the graduation requirements if a person is enrolled in the Leadership Academy.
MANDATORY CLASSES (7)
- The Power of Collaboration (JIF 101) *
- Implicit Bias in the Workplace
- Ethics for NJ Local Government Employee**
- Protecting Children from Abuse in NJ Government Programs**
- Practical Leadership – 21 Irrefutable Laws*
- Harassment in the Workplace for Elected Officials, Managers, & Supervisors*
- Leadership Skills for Supervisors Workshop* – (Two Full Days – must attend both days) – Not required for Law Enforcement
**Half held via in-person and other virtual
- Accident Investigation
- Building a Constitutionally Sound Police Department Through Training
- CDL: Supervisors’ Reasonable Suspicion
- Dealing with Difficult People
- Ethical Decision-Making
- Employee Conduct and Violence Prevention in the Workplace
- Fire Department Risk Management
- LE: Below 100*
- LE: Career Survival for First Line Supervisor*
- Microlearning Theory & Practices
- Preparing for First Amendment Audits
- Preparing for the Unspeakable
- Productive Meeting Best Practices
- Public Employers: What You Need to Know
To Qualify for Completion: All class completions will be recorded in attendee transcripts in the NJCE Learning Management System by the Leadership Academy Administration Office. Please keep track of the dates, times and class titles of all your completed Mandatory and Elective courses. Information on how to submit this information to the Leadership Academy Administration Office will be released, please check back. Attendance at any of the Academy Classes (virtual or in-person) must be for the entire class runtime (cannot be more than 5 minutes late or leave early) in order to receive credit for the class (no exceptions) and for it to count towards completion of the program.
To register for LIVE Virtual and In-Person* classes view the schedules and click on the registration link ( NJCE LIVE Monthly Training Schedules). If a link is not present on the Monthly Training Schedules the class may not be offered yet, so please check back.
If you have not activated your User Account on the New (BIS) NJCE Learning Management System (LMS) please send an email with your Organization Name (County/Agency) and your Department to Natalie Dougherty (email@example.com).